What You Need To Know To Get Married Abroad

Once you’ve found your Paphos wedding planners and know that the wedding of your dreams means getting hitched overseas, you’ll need to do a bit of research before you fly as it’s a little different to getting married at home.

Your first port of call should be the official government website, which has all sorts of helpful guidance relating to getting married abroad. First of all, you should get in touch with the local authorities in the country you plan to say your vows in so you know exactly what you need to do.

As long as you follow the official processes according to local laws, your marriage should be recognised in the UK and you shouldn’t need to register it once you get home again.

To get married in Cyprus, you’ll need to prove that you’re free to do so as the UK won’t issue certificates of no impediment for marriages taking place in Commonwealth countries.

For civil partnerships in Cyprus, you have to register at the high commission in the country. If you don’t live you need to have been there for at least 21 days in order to register the civil partnership and then you need to stay in the country for 21 days.

You also need to prove that you’re free to register a civil partnership, giving notice and signing a declaration. In order to do this you need to have been in the country for at least seven full days. Make an appointment at the high commission to give notice, which will set you back £50. You’ll also need your passports and proof that you’ve been in Cyprus for at least seven full days, such as a passport stamp.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *